Asian Pacific American Month – Events
Join Syska Hennessy as we continue to celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. There are many local events happening this month. Find one near you.
- Rush Hour Music & Art Festival – Rush Hour is Atlanta’s very first fine art and music festival created specifically to highlight asian and black creatives in the Atlanta area. This two-day event will feature a fine art show titled “You Can Open Up Now,” which features 26 visual artists, as well as 12 musical performances and DJ’s all day long. This festival serves to address the social climate of minority communities in the US. (May 12, 2023)
- InvAsian: Japan Night – Get ready to experience an unforgettable evening filled with exhilarating martial arts demonstrations, awe-inspiring fire spinners, live performances, and a vibrant cosplay contest. For those who love to dress up, our cosplay contest will provide the perfect opportunity to show off your favorite anime or manga-inspired outfits. Prizes will be awarded to the most creative and authentic costumes, so be sure to bring your A-game! And of course, we haven’t forgotten about the vendors – a marketplace featuring a wide variety of Japanese-inspired goods, including food, drinks, accessories, and handcrafted items will be available for purchase. (May 27, 2023)
- BAGLY AAPI Heritage Night – In celebration of AAPI Heritage Month, BAGLY will be hosting an Asian Social Night on Wednesday, May 24th from 6pm-8pm! Dinner, activities, and great conversation will be served! Come join us and meet fellow LGBTQ+ AAPI youth. We are celebrating what it means to be AAPI and LGBTQ+. This event is open to queer & trans AAPI youth and their peers, ages 25 and under! (May 24, 2023)
- Confronting Racial Injustices: Rising Asian American Voices – Join the Massachusetts Historical Society for a conversation on the history of violence Asian Americans have been forced to face over the years, as well as the rising voices who are combating the recent increase in hate directed toward the community. The online event will feature prerecorded remarks by Boston Mayor Michelle Wu and a panel discussion moderated by Massachusetts Superior Court Associate Justice Catherine H. Ham. (May 26, 2023)
- Charlotte Dragon Boat Festival – This annual family-oriented event is a celebration of Asian cultures. We welcome the Asian and non-Asian community in and around Mecklenburg County and throughout the Carolinas. The festival celebrates Asian cultures, diversity, ethnicity, roots and history. An important part of the Chinese traditional calendar, dragon boat racing originated over 2,300 years ago on the life-sustaining rivers of southern China. The Charlotte race is an open competition to anyone 15 years of age or older. (May 13, 2023)
- Common Roots: Festival for Asian Pacific American Heritage Month – Let’s get together to celebrate Heritage Month! We’ll have Asian artists, a vendor market, performances, food, and more. This event is FREE and open to all ages. It will be held outdoors at Durham Central Park. (May 21, 2023)
- AAPI Restaurant Week – Eat your way around the city and suburbs with more than 50 AAPI-owned restaurants that will be participating this year. Each spot will be offering a special deal or discount throughout the week. (May 12-21, 2023)
- Asian Pacific Heritage Festival at Zhou B Art Center – Celebrate the creative voices of the Asian Pacific American community. Taking place May 19 and 21 at the Zhou B Art Center, the Festival highlights the breadth and vibrancy of Asian Pacific American creativity, underscoring the community’s notable position in Chicago’s cultural landscape. Register online in advanced for this Free Cultural Event. (May 19 & 21, 2023)
- The Crow Museum of Asian Art – Seeking to inspire and promote learning and dialogue about the arts and cultures of Asia through selective exhibitions, research and curation, artistic and educational programming and guest experience, a visit to the Crow Museum of Asian Art is a wonderful way to celebrate AAPI Heritage Month. Located in the Dallas Arts District, the Crow Museum of Asian Art is open from Tuesday – Sunday, 11-5 p.m., and free to the public.
- International Museum of Cultures – Take the family for a visit to the International Museum of Cultures, just 25 minutes south of Downtown Dallas. The only museum of its kind in Texas, it focuses on exploring the cultures and people from communities around the world, including those of Southeast Asia and Papua New Guinea. Stop by The Drums of the World exhibit to hear the sounds of the instrument as it’s traditionally played throughout the world.
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Celebration 2023 – Join them on May 16th at the Jacksonville Main Library for an unforgettable event filled with cultural performances, a fashion show, awards for outstanding Asian businesses, and scholarship awards for Asian American High School students! Get ready to be blown away by the sights and sounds of Asian American and Pacific Islander heritage. (May 16, 2023)
- Crazy Rich Asians – Free Outdoor Screening – Celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month with a screening of Crazy Rich Asians on the Ivy Station lawn. Bring a blanket or low lawn chair to sit on! Grab a spot on the lawn beginning at 7:45pm and enjoy free popcorn. The movie will begin promptly at 8:15pm. Closed captioning will be enabled. This film is rated PG-13. This is a free event with free 5-hour parking validation provided upon request. Attendees are encouraged to visit our on-site retail and dining establishments before, during, and after the film. Alcohol is not permitted outdoors. (May 26, 2023)
- 2023 Asian American Cancer Health Symposium – On May 27, 2023, Saturday, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., American Cancer Society, City of Hope, and Global Federation of Chinese Businesswomen Greater Los Angeles Chapter will also host a free cancer health symposium at City of Hope, Cooper Auditorium, 1500 E Duarte Rd., Duarte, CA 91010 on cancer health advancement and tobacco prevention and control. Registration is required. Free refreshments and raffle prizes. The event will be live streamed.
- Lantern Festival for Justice and Remembrance – Help us light thousands of lanterns in remembrance of those harmed by violence and injustice, including anti-Asian hate. Let’s stand together against all forms of hate and celebrate community and solidarity, and our shared goals of securing justice for all. (May 21, 2023)
- AAPI Jazz Fest 2023 – AAPI Jazz Fest celebrates the pan-Asian jazz community and its ongoing, vital presence in the music world. We seek to honor the past, present, and future, highlighting the depth and breadth of the varied Asian American artists and communities that are committed to expressing themselves through this unique art form and its derivations. (May 20, 2023)
- Asian Creative Festival 2023 – Asian Creative Festival is a space to celebrate AAPI culture and creatives. With the support of AAPI creatives everywhere, we’re cultivating a place to exchange stories, inspire creativity, and support one another. This year our theme is Be Colorful. (May 20, 2023)
- ACAA’s AAPI Heritage Month Celebration – May is Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Come celebrate with ACAA at The Chai Spot on May 18th (Thursday) from 6-8pm – meet new friends and catch up with old buddies. (May 18, 2023)
- Orange County Asian-Inspired Art Exhibition
- Asian-American Heritage Council Asian Cultural Festival – (May 14, 2023)
- Common Roots: Festival for Asian Pacific American Heritage Month – (May 21, 2023)
- AAPI Heritage Month Class Series: Vegetarian Bibimbap (Virtual) – (May 23, 2023)
- Asian American Joy Festival – (May 20, 2023)
- Asian American & Pacific Islander Celebration – (May 24, 2023)
- Educational Talk About the 442nd Infantry Regiment – (May 19, 2023)
- Fiesta Asia Street Fair – (May 20, 2023)